Vegetarian Cabbage Kimchi
Ingredients (makes 300g)
° 1 litre water
° 50g salt
° 25g chilli powder
° 25g carrot shreds
° 25g radish shreds
° 25g ginger
° 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
° 1½ tablespoons salt
° 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Mix the marinade ingredients well in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Make a deep cut across the base of the head of Chinese cabbage and split it in two, if it is a whole. Place the cabbage in a big bowl, cover with 1 litre of water and adding 50g salt to it. Leave it to stand for 4 hours. Remove and rinse the cabbage and squeeze dry.
3. Place the cabbage on a large plate and coat and spread the marinade on each layer of leaves. Ensuring that the marinade mixture get evenly between the leaves and no leaf is left uncovered.
4. Roll the cabbage up and use the outer leaf of the cabbage to wrap tightly around the other leaves to help the seasoning permeate throughout the whole.
5. Place the cabbage in an airtight container and leave it at room temperature for few hours and place it in the refrigerator for 1 day.