I would love to be posting something fresh and amazing as the first post of 2019; but I’m afraid I’m still quagmired in 2018!
Although the Christmas tree is down and the decorations are all packed away – I can say that, at least! But I’m otherwise feeling quite unprepared to tackle this year.
January is always a challenging month – it’s a transition from the order of a year well in hand, to the chaos of holidays, then back to the demands of a new school year. Back to the crazy juggling act that is life, parenthood, and work (career, business, hobbies…)
We do juggle a lot, don’t we?
So I’m going to cut myself some slack and not feel too guilty about posting something that was meant for Christmas, but will be my first New Year offering instead. Ok?!
These star-in-star cookies are so simple, but lovely additions to a
Christmas any-occasion cookie jar. Think heart-in-hearts for Valentines Day!
You’ll need :
– Half a batch of the lightly spiced cookie dough* chilled**
– Half a batch of chocolate cookie dough* chilled**
– A set of star cutters in graduated sizes.
– The usual paraphernalia for making cookies: rolling pins, silicone mats, baking trays, etc
(*Either halve all the ingredients in the recipes, or make full batches and freeze any cookie dough you don’t use – it’s always handy to have some cookie dough in the freezer!)
(**it’s much easier to do cut-outs with firm chilled dough. If you find that the dough becomes too soft, refrigerate it again before continuing.)
– Pre-heat the oven to 180’C
– Roll out chilled ** cookie dough
– Cut out large/medium stars; use a smaller star cutter to cut out stars from their centres. Don’t discard these small stars.
– Repeat with the other batch of cookie dough.
– Fit the alternate small stars into the centre of the large stars.
Place cookies onto cookie trays.
Gently press a little caster sugar into their surfaces before baking if you want a slightly sparkly appearance. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
Bake for 10-12 minutes in the pre-heated oven.
May the stars watch over on you in 2019!